Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Tiring yet Rewarding Job

I want to share one of my experiences teaching here in Thailand. I am teaching college students for two years now and been enjoying it. However, teaching kids of 5-6 was an alien thing to me. I taught at ECC (English, Chinese, Computer), a known language center here three weeks ago because my gf who teaches there, went to Bangkok to get a letter from the Ministry of Education (What a bummer, lol).

I was a bit skeptic on whether to accept her proposal or refuse it, knowing I don't have an experience teaching small children and i don't know how to pacify them when tantrums arise. I said yes though, but I am not sure why.


It was a bit early when i arrived and there were butterflies in my stomach. Questions of when and how to start kept popping out. The little girl named "Tonhom" arrived first followed by "Merg". I taught them three hours straight and it was a disaster during the first hour. Tongue-tied, sweating and stuttering? That happened to me (sad). Apart from that, they weren't also not paying attention. After the break, i decided to act like a kid myself and started singing and dancing all over the place (perhaps i was too serious for them, what yah think?). They smiled for the first time and that made a difference.

I was motivated by their smile and became more active with lots of smile and stuff. They felt at ease and so do i. I was so tired after the session because teaching kids involves all parts of the body (lol). But seeing them happy and that they learned something, eased my tiredness away. Well, that was it..Hehe..A tiring, yet rewarding job indeed.

And just so you know...We are very good friends now. Wink wink....

4 comments:

  1. so cute... =) ---- alexa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahha..!
    That's fun.. Nice smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for dropping by my blog. i also taught english as a second language in seattle, washington!

    ReplyDelete